Thursday, February 9, 2017

Girl Chat: Valentine's Day Plans

Today is a really exciting day for me.  It's the first day of our Girl Chat link up!!!  I am so happy to be joining my fellow hosts, Danielle, Lindsay, Lizzie and Sierra today for a little girl chat.  Our first topic - Valentine's Day plans.  

I have to tell you a good dinner and the best company honestly is all I really need on Valentine's Day.  Obviously, presents never hurt anyone, but at the core, what is important to me is just having a little special time together.  For some reason, we have kind of taken to celebrating on the 13th (or sometime before), rather than the actual day.  I think it was a way to avoid crowds, and now it just kind of has stuck.  So this Monday, I will be making a special dinner - lamb.  I have only ever made this one lamb recipe from Kris Jenner's cookbook, but it is seriously so good.  The recipe is actually for kabobs, but I just throw everything on the grill without skewering them.  The marinade is delicious, and then I serve it with rice.  I usually keep this recipe for a special occasion because lamb is not cheap, and a holiday like this one is perfect for a little splurging.  I am sure it will be served with a glass a of wine, and now that I am thinking about it more, having a little something for dessert after sounds like a great idea - any suggestions?

Other ways I like to celebrate Valentine's Day include doing a little something for my family.  Growing up, we always got a little card from both my grandparents and one of my aunts and uncles.  I loved that they thought to do this for us, so I wanted to carry on that tradition.  Not to mention, I just LOVE giving gifts - it makes me happy, while hopefully always making someone else happy, too.  This year, I got my nephew a card and then a little book on trucks.  Originally I wanted to do a Valentine's Day book, but the selection at Target just was not doing it for me, so I opted for something I knew he would love - trucks.  His card had one of the Cars characters on it, which I thought was perfect because I know that is on repeat at my brother and sister in law's house.  My mom was actually going there to babysit, so she took the present for me.  It was super helpful, because I like to avoid the post office if possible.  To make it even better, they sent me a video of him checking it all out and it was the cutest thing.  He literally let out a little yelp when he saw the card and tore it out of my sister in law's hands.  That boy loves his cars and trucks!  Too precious.  I also usually send a card to my grandma.  Since my grandpa has been gone, I want to make sure she feels the love on Valentine's Day, too.  Besides, who doesn't love receiving cards?!  This year, we also sent a little something to my parents, kind of as a thank you for all their treats to us, in addition to just saying Happy Valentine's Day.  I won't share what exactly, because I don't want my mom to know before it's delivered, but it's something sweet they can enjoy. 

Can't wait to check out everyone's Valentine's Day plans - I always find it so interesting to see how other people celebrate!

To link up - just grab our graphic, link up and let's get to chatting!  Make sure to stop by a few others linked up for an extra bit of girl chat!



And don't forget to follow your hosts!

Danielle - Bloglovin' | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter 

Emily - Bloglovin' | Instagram | Pinterest 

Lindsay - Bloglovin' | Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest 

Lizzie - Bloglovin' | Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest 

Sierra - Bloglovin' | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter 

19 comments:

  1. I LOVE eating lamb! I need to check that recipe out because it sound delicious! And we've only celebrated Valentine's Day when it's on the weekend and we'll go out to eat, but like you said, the crowds are crazy!
    Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never made lamb!! I wonder if I could even pull it off?! Sounds like a perfect night planned! We also usually go out before or after to avoid the crowds but not this year, however we are going to eat at 5pm so most likely the restaurant won't be bumpin or anything LOL

    That is so sweet you send a card to your Grandma! And of course your nephew!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by my blog. It means a lot when the hosts actually pop in for a visit! And, will you please share the lamb recipe? I'm looking forward to the next link up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to get a card for MG and a little something. We don't do big gifts on Valentine's day, but spending quality time together is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spending special time together should be what it's all about. I love that you keep it low key. What a nice tradition to keep up. Aunts and Uncles are the best, and you can never go wrong with a truck book! Beautifully Candid

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great Valentine's Day plan! Jared's birthday is Valentine's Day so we have a lot of celebrating to do over the next few days!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never made lamb, but that sounds delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your meal sounds yummy. Low key is the best way to go, makes it easy and stress free :)

    Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That dinner sounds soooo good. I love the idea of it. And it is so sweet of you to send your grandma a card. I bet she loves that. And I can just imagine the look on your nephews face when he opened the card and present.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A low key night with good company is the best for Valentine's Day (or any other day for that matter)! I'd love to hear about your lamb recipe. I've never made lamb before, but would like to give it a whirl! Cheers, Laura

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your VDay plans sound absolutely PERFECT! I have never tried lamb and it sounds like I'm missing out! I wouldn't even know where to start, though!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are such a sweet, thoughtful aunt! That really gets my wheels spinning about if/what I should do for my little niece.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a fun linkup! I loved just spending time and spreading love through my family growing up. My husband and I don't really celebrate Valentine's Day - our wedding anniversary is 2 weeks after! However this year we are going to a dinner and listening to a speaker at church. Also, we're going to see Professional Bull Riding at the downtown arena. That kind of just happened to be on V-Day weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yummm! Your valentines meal sounds amazing!! Last year my Fiance and I stayed in an cooked together. This year he is taking me to dinner and an Italian place :) Lol I am all about the food on Valentines day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are great! Thanks for all your sweet comments through these times for me. It really means a lot. I'm so glad I joined the link up <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yum, a lamb dinner sounds so good! We like to make a nice dinner too. We don't usually do gifts, but we do cards and Matt usually brings me flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so bummed I missed this link up today, too much going on this week but I'll be posting my plans in the morning! You'll have to share your lamb recipe, I've never made it but LOVE to eat it! Also, I'm with you... single or dating/married I love Valentine's, it's always been a fun way to celebrate family & friends too :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm with you on wanting to celebrate but avoid any crowds! The lamb dish you're making sounds delicious- we're going to make something in, but aren't totally sure what to make yet!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds like a perfect way to spend the day! You did so many thoughtful things for others! I'm hoping to make some chocolate lava cakes for my family. They seem a little fancy so I think they'll be perfect.

    ReplyDelete