Monday, March 20, 2017

30th Birthday Recap: Part 2

Happy Monday!  I had the best weekend, finishing up my birthday celebrations.

We headed to Indy late Friday morning.  On the way, there is this restaurant called Blue Springs Cafe that has foot high pies.  I am not a huge pie fan at all, but I have always been so curious about this place, so this time we finally stopped there and had lunch.  Verdict?  Nothing special, at least in our opinion.  The interior of the place was super cute, but the food was just ok, as was the pie.  Just one of those, glad we finally went and tried it, but won't be back type places.  The rest of the drive was uneventful, which is always a good thing, and we got to the hotel no problems.  Side note - one of my very favorite things to do on a longer drive is play the license plate game.  I thought to do this about an hour into the four hour drive, and between the whole trip, we saw over 30 different license plates.  So neat!  We had plans to meet my brother and sister in law out for dinner at Four Day Ray, a new brewery / restaurant that opened up not too long ago.  Since it was St. Patrick's Day, it was pretty crowded, but we got in at the right time and only had a short wait.  They had a special menu for the holiday, and I had the bangers and mash which were so, so good.  Seriously, I am still raving about them.  It was a neat place, and one I can see us going back to when in town, especially when things aren't as crazy.


Saturday morning came bright and early, as we headed over to the house to have breakfast with the family.  My parents drove in Friday, as well, which worked out perfectly, because they were able to hang out with Jack, while Matt and Jen met us for dinner.  We had a super yummy breakfast - my mom made scrambled eggs, bacon, monkey bread, and fruit salad.  Delicious!  We did cards / presents after breakfast - I got the prettiest necklace from my parents!  And of course, my mom had to go on theme with a $30 gift card to one of my favorite stores.  Since the weather was kind of blah, we decided to head to the Indiana State Museum in the morning.  I love a good museum, and this one did not disappoint!  It's right downtown, along the canal (which was green for St. Patrick's Day) and just a really neat place.  I definitely say it works for all ages, because Jackson had a blast checking everything out, as did we.  After the museum, we headed back for some lunch and relaxing.  My mom made my favorite dessert - cupcakes with yellow cake, chocolate frosting and round sprinkles.  After making my wish, we played a super fun game called Smart Ass.  It's a board game, where you get different what, where, who clues and have to guess the answer.  You only get one guess, so that definitely makes it interesting.  Because my mom made all the other meals, we opted for ordering out dinner - Puccini's.  We got the antipasto salad, meaty lasagna, chicken parm and garlic bread.  Oh my goodness, it was delicious!!  Since my brother and sister in law are both Butler alums, we headed out after dinner to meet up with one of their friends to watch the game.  They won, so needless to say it was a good night!  



My dad showing Jack pictures of cars on his phone.

Just a boy and his mower (he is OBSESSED)!





It was time to go Sunday morning, so we headed on out after getting some breakfast.  We made a Starbucks stop on the way, where I tried out the cinnamon almond milk macchiato, recommended by Sarah.  So, so good!  Since we were passing through Effingham around lunchtime, we stopped at the Firefly Grill.  If you are ever in that area,  you NEED to go to this place.  We went once before, and both times it has been ridiculously good.  I recommend the hummus plate, the steak burger, and off their brunch menu, the shrimp and grits.  Such a great place.  It was back in St. Louis that afternoon - the one thing about coming back from Indy is the hour you gain, but it still was a quick evening with grocery shopping, meal prepping and other Sunday to-do's.  I am glad it was productive though, because it has me ready for the week!  Hope you all have the best Monday!



Linking up with Biana.
      

21 comments:

  1. Such a fun weekend!!! I love that your mom made your favorite cupcakes--I love yellow cake with chocolate icing, too, but no sprinkles for me :) I want to see the earrings she got you!!!
    Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you had such a fun birthday weekend! And I love that cinnamon almond milk macchiato, so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Emily, the perfect weekend for the Perfect birthday girl! Recognize that river well, 2 minutes from where our son lives. I'm so happy your Fam showered you with love! May it be a great week sweetness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow what a fun birthday weekend!! I'm so glad you enjoyed your time with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy belated birthday! Your weekend seems absolutely perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun birthday weekend! So glad you got to enjoy it with family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you had a fabulous weekend celebrating your birthday and the Firefly Grill sounds amazing! I'm craving shrimp and grits now!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great weekend!! Look at you taking lots of photos!! Glad you had a great weekend celebrating :)
    Kelsey
    www.thepeacockroost.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful birthday weekend with family. I'm loving the spring cups at starbucks, so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a great weekend filled with delicious food! And yay for spring cups at Starbucks! Cheers to a fabulous week gurlie <3
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad your family got to come celebrate with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It sounds like your weekend of celebrating couldn't have been more fun! I love that Indy died their canal green to get in the St Patty's Day spirit even more!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Girl, what a fun weekend! So so busy and so full of great things! I'm going to have to make another Starbucks run later this week so I can check out that cinnamon almond milk macchiato... I love anything cinnamon! I've been hooked on the cascara latte for a while so it's time for a change! Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love bloggers who spend so much time with their families as adults! Makes me so happy to read about, and I think it's so neat the relationship you have with them. Glad you had such a fun weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Foot high pie sounds delicious! Too bad it wasn't anything spectacular. Glad you got to spend your weekend with your favorite people!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Four De Ray is right by my apartment :) What did you think of it!? Sounds like a busy and great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like the absolute perfect way to celebrate your birthday! You got to go to a bunch of cute and great sounding places! I love all the traditions you and your family have, it's really sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love that your mom made your cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks like you had a great time celebrating! Happy belated birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm so glad that you had a great birthday weekend! That cake/pie looks SO yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy belated birthday! I am so sad I missed this post and am just reading it now. I LOVE yellow cake with chocolate and sprinkles. Seriously my favorite. Looks like a great weekend. I am just sorry that the pie place didn't live up to the hype. I hate that and the picture does look good.

    ReplyDelete