Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Book Review: February 2017


The Rose & The Dagger by Renee Ahdieh.  This is the second book in the series, the first being The Wrath & The Dawn, and I was pleasantly surprised by it.  I thought it would be very predictable, and while the ending was predictable, how it got there was not, at least to me.  Definitely a good one!

Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly.  This book was SO GOOD.  Just very eye opening.  It hits on a very tough subject, the Holocaust, and is told from multiple points of view, which I found super interesting.  The book is based on true accounts, although some parts are fiction to add to the story.  You get an overview at the end, though, which helps to separate the truth from the fiction.   

Before the Fall by Noah Hawley.  Another really good read, one I would highly recommend.  The book starts off with a private plane that crashed in the ocean, and all but two passengers are killed.  The book then goes back in time to give you some background on each passenger killed, leading up to what actually happened.  This was a page turner, and although I had an inkling of what did happen, it still really held my interest.

A Hundred Summers by Beatriz Williams.  This book wasn't necessarily my favorite.  It wasn't bad, but it doesn't really stand out either.  The main characters annoyed me a bit.  It's about a girl and her friend, and their respective loves, that then fast forwards some years when they all meet up again.  Not a bad read at all, but not one I would say is a must read.

The Secrets of Midwives by Sally Hepworth.  This was a fast read!  It follows three generations of midwives, and the drama in their life.  I feel like it kept me guessing til the end, and I really liked how it all came together.  The book is written through the eyes of each generation, which gives you different takes on what is going on in the book.  Definitely one to check out!  

The Perfect Neighbors by Sarah Pekkanen.  I had high expectations for this book, and I thought it was just ok.  It's about a neighborhood that is one of the safest in the area, but everyone has "secrets".  Another book where I found the characters a bit annoying.  If the summary sounds interesting to you, I would check it out, but if not, I don't think you are missing anything great.

I have read some good ones in March already, but am always adding to my list - please sure if you have any recommendations!

Linking up with Steph, Whitney and Lindsay.



25 comments:

  1. Before the fall sounds so intense and good!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished the two books I've been reading and was looking for my next read! Thinking Two by Two is on the list but I may have to check out The Secrets of Midwives too. I loved Before the Fall. If you haven't checked out the Woman in Cabin 10 I read it right after Before the Fall and loved it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm I recently read The Red Tent and enjoyed the midwife aspect of it- may check that one out! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always love these book reviews, it gives me some to add to my list! I wish I had more time to read because the list is growing very quickly! I have heard great things about Lilac Girls, so I'm glad to hear you liked it too. Adding it to my list -- thanks for the recommendation!

    xo, Rachel
    A Blonde's Moment

    ReplyDelete
  5. yay glad you liked the rose and the dagger! it's been ages since i read them but i loved them too. bummer you didn't love a hundred summers. that book has my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. First of all way to go - Whyyy am I in the no-read phase? Its on my night stand but I haven't read in like 2 months (I know, horrible!) Thanks for sharing these!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well I haven't heard of any of these! Lots of new ones to look into! Lilac Girls sounds really good. I used to be obsessed with reading about the holocaust when I was younger.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved The Secrets of Midwives and A Hundred Summers. I so want to read Before the Fall and Lilac Girls!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought The Perfect Neighbors was pretty good, but not my favorite. The Secrets of Midwives sounds like an interesting read!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad that you liked Lilac Girls! I thought that it was a very good read and talked about a lot of necessary things when it comes to WWII. I have Before The Fall on my Kindle, and I just need to actually read it! So many people have talked about how good it is!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I would like the Lilac Girls, I will have to check into that! I have far too many books I want to read right now haha I should probably get reading now haha ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved A Hundred Summers! It's my favorite of hers. I did read it in the summer years ago, so I think sitting on a beach reading it helped!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Lilac Girls is on my TBR but I've already read 2 WW2 books this year and need a bit more space before I can tackle another one. They are such important, necessary reads but emotionally I can't handle them back-to-back. Before the Fall is on my TBR as is The Wrath and the Dawn. I like hearing a series holds up before I invest my time in it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'll have to add these to my list :)!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aww, I'm sad you felt that way about A Hundred Summer. I keep hearing how good it is! I really liked The Secrets of Midwives too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My mom read Lilac Girls and loved it too! I need to add it to my list. Before the Fall sounds like a good one as well! Way to go reading so many books this month!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I felt the same way about Lilac Girls!! It was an eye-opening book and so interesting being told from three points of view. I'm going to check out some of these other books!
    xo
    Amanda @ Cupcake N Dreams

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lilac Girls and Before the Fall both sound like really good ones! I'll have to check them out.

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  19. Stopping by from Tuesday Talk! XOXO I love reading book reviews. I added Lilac Girls and Before the Fall to my list. Thanks for the recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've thought about watching The Secrets of Midwives on Netflix!! Glad you liked the book!
    Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for the recommendations!! Can't wait to check some of them out!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm so excited Renee Ahdieh is coming out with a new book in April and I'm hoping it's just as good! A Hundred Summers is on my list and I'm really interested to see what I think because people seem to either think it was a 5-star book or just so-so.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've had Lilac Girls from Netgalley for over a year... oy vey I need to read it. I know I enjoy WWII fiction once I get started... but it's hard to because it's SO sad. Most of these books are on my TBR. :) Here from SUYB. XO - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
  24. "The Perfect Neighbors" sounds intriguing - it definitely has a "Desperate Housewives" feel. I'm a big fan of that show!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I didn't actually start liking Lilac Girls till the very end. I hatttteeedd Caroline's character. It was towards the end that I realized she was a real person and not even that helped me like her character better. As someone who reads a lot of WW2 fiction, I really appreciated Herta's perspective the most since most holocaust fiction is from the Allied perspective. It was a nice change and while the Germans were the bad guys, admittedly, it's nice to see a switch up and for someone to explore that the mindset that led to what happened.

    ReplyDelete