Thursday, March 9, 2017

Girl Chat: Lucky

Today is all about luck.  I feel like you can take this prompt in a few different ways, and I decided to go the "deeper" route.  Today, I am talking about my family.  And how lucky I am that they are mine.

I have always been a bit of a Daddy's girl.  I think he is just the best.  Growing up, he was always the "big" discipliner.  As in, if he was getting involved, you were in BIG trouble.  On the flip side, though, he is also a huge softy.  My mom and dad always get us stocking stuffers for Christmas, and while sometimes my mom is the one who likes to go overboard, my dad is often in there, too, coming up with a neat gift that we just HAVE to have, even if it's going over the limit.  He's the handiest person I know.  My mom and I often dream up some idea, and he is the one to actually make it come to fruition.  Quite often, he is hauling his tools to and from different places, whether it be my apartment, my brother and sister in law's house, my grandma's or my aunt's/uncle's/cousin's.  He's steadfast and dependable, always willing to help out.  His biggest love (other than us) probably is cars, and I think I inherited that from him.  There is something so nice about spending a warm summer day, checking out old cars.  Like I said - he is just the best.

My mom is one of my best friends.  Growing up, we fought like cats and dogs.  I was the typical teenager and gave my parents fits, especially my mom.  Luckily I grew out of that, and even though we still butt heads sometimes (my dad says we are too much alike for our own good at times), not only is she my mom, but she is one of my best friends.  She is a great cook, and I think I get my love of being in the kitchen from her.  Often when I am home, we spend hours in the kitchen.  Her chicken noodle soup is the only thing I want when I am sick, and although I do have the recipe, it's just not quite as good as hers!  I am forever bouncing ideas off her, especially when it comes to decorating.  We totally share that, and often come up with some pretty great ideas!  She is my favorite shopping partner - I always look forward to our Black Fridays together.  It has become a tradition.  My mom has a way of really making things special.  Whether it be making a simple salad, but taking the time to put in all the good stuff, or putting in the extra effort to make a package really look gorgeous, whipping up some little design / printable...all these different things that I think would be good ideas, but don't always follow through with, it's just second nature for her to do it.  She's always there...even if she doesn't always answer her phone the first time.

My brother has become a great confidant and someone I know that will always be there.  We have come a long ways from the days where I used to lock myself in the bathroom so he wouldn't pinch me after school before my mom came home, or those times I used to dry off his toothbrush after he brushed his teeth, so when mom would check to see if he brushed his teeth, she would think he didn't and he would get in trouble.  Granted, that wasn't always the norm - my mom says when I was a baby I would take whatever toy he was playing with and he would just let me and move on to the next (obviously you can tell who was the sweet child growing up...) and he would often times build me Barbie houses out of our cardboard brick.  He wasn't the protective older brother you usually hear about - I was actually the protective little sister, thinking no one was good enough for him, especially in high school.  We grew a lot closer when he went to college, and then even more so when I went to college myself.  He's one of my favorite people to talk to on the phone, which is saying a lot, and will always listen to me just go on and on about whatever I may need to get off my chest.  Even more so, he is responsible for adding two more members to my family - my sister in law and my godson / nephew.  Jen is a great sister in law - we get along so well and I love the times where we can get together and just really talk.  I was able to stay with them shortly after Jackson came, and even dealing with a baby, we had loads of great conversations and I am just lucky to be able to have that type of relationship with her.  Like my brother, I know if I need anything, I can always give her a call.  Jackson obviously needs no explanation - he is such a joy to the family and he came to us at the perfect time.  His light face just lights up when he sees you and it's so precious - makes my day every time!

While those are all just little glimpses at my immediate family, the reason I feeling really lucky having them, is the fact that they are there for me.  For the good and the bad, I know they are always there.  I think sometimes I take for granted the relationships I have with them, when plenty of people aren't able to experience that kind of support.  That is why they are my "really lucky" time.

To link up - just grab our graphic, link up and let's get to chatting!  Make sure to stop by a few others linked up for an extra bit of girl chat!



And don't forget to follow your hosts!

Danielle - Bloglovin' | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter 

Emily - Bloglovin' | Instagram | Pinterest 

Lindsay - Bloglovin' | Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest 

Lizzie - Bloglovin' | Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest 

Sierra - Bloglovin' | FacebookInstagram | Pinterest | Twitter 


       

14 comments:

  1. So sweet! I love how great of relationships you've built with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have such a wonderful family! Love that you are so close with all of them and I love your relationship with you mom because it sounds like mine!
    Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always a blessing to have family that you love so much and you know are there for you and love you equally back. Never take that for granted :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! I have same kind of relationship with my family and I feel bad for the people who don't have the same. Perfect lucky post :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sweet, I love this post and love how close your family is :) That is truly awesome, and not something everyone has. Also, I LOL'd at the toothbrush thing, that's hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this Emily! So sweet!! I have a feeling Rick is going to be just like your Dad to our kids when they are older, always helping them build something LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sweet! I love how close you and your family are! And I agree that it is a "lucky" feeling to be close to your family and many others don't have that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so sweet! You have a great family!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this! Your family sounds so amazing and I love how close you all are. I'm the only one out of my siblings that is married yet and I always wonder about future brother or sister in-laws and how they dynamic will be. I hope our relationships are as close as yours <3 Beautifully Candid

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a sweet post. I love how much you clearly adore your family!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a great post and tribute to your family. You truly are lucky to have the support group that you do and have such a close bond with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Family is definitely the biggest blessing of all. Funny how we realize that years later!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved hearing more about your family. You are incredibly lucky to have each and every one of them... they all sound amazing! And your relationship with your brother reminds me of what I think Jacob and Olivia's will be like. I think she's going to end up being the one to protect him. And girl, I laughed so hard about the toothbrush thing... that is hilarious! And so smart!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your family sounds very similar to mine! My mom and I knock heads like crazy and my brother..man...I seriously don't know what I would do without him.

    ReplyDelete