Monday, March 13, 2017

My Birth Story

Today is my birthday.  Leading up to my birthday, some days I think, wow, I am going to be 30!, and other days I think oh boy...I am going to be 30.  

My girl Sarah had her parents share her birth story this past year on her birthday, and I thought that was such a neat idea.  I asked my parents to do the same, and thankfully my mom (with input from my dad) was up to it!  I thoroughly enjoyed reading this, and know it is something I will cherish knowing going forward.


It’s certainly hard to believe our baby girl, Emily, is 30 years old today!  Where has the time gone?!  Although it’s been 30 years since her birth, I fondly remember that day like it was yesterday.

 Just for a little background, I had difficulty getting pregnant in the first place.  Finally after 6 years of marriage and many trips to the OB/GYN, we were fortunate to welcome Emily’s brother, Matt, in 1984.  After more help from my OB/GYN, I was thrilled to be pregnant again in the summer of 1986!  Back in those “olden” days, you didn’t really have the option to find out the sex of the baby.  Tom, Emily’s Dad, and I really didn’t care … we were just hoping for a healthy baby.  However, since we wanted a smaller family, I truly was hoping for a girl.  We would have our son and a daughter and be done.

Now fast forward ahead to Thursday, March 12, 1987.  I was already on maternity leave from my job as a school speech/language pathologist.  I remember I started feeling some contractions later in the afternoon.  When Tom got home from work about 6, I told him that I might be in labor.  He wanted to go to the hospital immediately since we had a 40 minute drive and because with Matt’s birth, when I was ready to push, literally 3 pushes and Matt entered this world!  Emily’s maternal grandmother was “on call” to come stay with Matt, but she was 1 ½ hours away.  We decided to contact Emily’s paternal grandparents, who lived only about 15 minutes away in the country, to come and stay with Matt in the meantime.  Tom called his parents, but the line was busy.  Tom is from a very large family, 9 siblings, and many were teenagers at the time, living at home, all wanting to use the one family phome!  Remember this was 1987 … no cell phones!  I think we tried for about ½ hour to get through … no luck!  So Emily’s Dad called a neighbor who lived about ¼ mile away.  They were home, so their son drove to the Dunhams’ house to let them know they were needed and needed quickly at our home.

We got to the hospital about 9 that evening.  Tom could now breathe a sigh of relief … haha!  Since the next day was Friday, March 13th, I so wanted to have this baby before midnight.  I guess I was a little superstitious, plus wanted to have a short labor.  Emily had other ideas though!  I labored all that night with back labor, but didn’t make much progress.  My OB/GYN was on vacation, so the Dr. on call was going to deliver this baby.  Unfortunately, the nurses did not call this Dr. until the morning.  He came in and got things rolling.  He gave me an epidural, broke my water, and started me on some Pitocen.  Within about 2 hours, I was ready to go to the delivery room!

Once in the delivery room, the nurses needed to find the Dr.  So Emily’s Dad was left alone with me, and I was ready to push this baby out!  I remember Tom emphatically telling me to not push, just do my Lamaze breathing through my contractions.  I guess he could see the head, so was freaking out.  The Dr. finally made it to the delivery room.  As with Matt, after a few pushes, the baby’s head was out.  I remember Dr. O’Neil first saying that this baby has a “pretty face”.  Shortly after that statement, he said, “It’s a girl”!!!  We were thrilled!  So at 8:07 a.m. on, yes, Friday, March 13, 1987, Emily Ann Dunham was born.  She was 7 lbs. 6 oz. and 20” long.  Friday the 13th was now a very lucky day, at least for us! We had our sweet little daughter! (I’m tearing up right now!)


 Happy 30th Birthday, Emily! We are blessed and honored to have you as our daughter. Love you!

23 comments:

  1. Oh this is so sweet!!! Wasn't this such a great idea to do?! I know I cried reading what my parents wrote, so I bet you cried too haha!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!
    Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday girl!!! Your 30s will be your best yet! Love that your parents wrote down your birth story--that's something to hold onto forever :) Have a great, special day!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love reading stories like this. Happy happy birthday sweet emily! Welcome to the 30s club!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww this was SO sweet to read!! I probably would have been the same as your Mom, not wanting it to be the 13th for superstitious reasons but then it all worked out :) I love that those were the times of lines being busy, I so remember that from my childhood! Happy 30th Birthday girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy happy birthday Emily! This was such a fun idea to hear your mom's account of the day you were born.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Emily this is so sweet! And I was getting frustrated for your parents reading how they couldn't get through because the line was busy..too funny, I vaguely remember that issue from being a kid. Glad that isn't something we deal with anymore!
    Happy birthday girl, I hope year 30 is amazing for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This so sweet and such a great idea! Happy Birthday, Emily! Hope this is an amazing year for you! Welcome to the club :)
    Beautifully Candid

    ReplyDelete
  8. This so much a sweet story, and I'm so glad that your mom wrote it out for you! I'm going through the same thing that I find it very hard to believe that I'm 30 and think about it in good and bad ways! I hope that you're having the best time celebrating your big 3-0 today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is the sweetest thing ever! You are very lucky to have this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww this was the sweetest thing to read. First off, Happy 30th Birthday!!!! Second your parents are so sweet for writing this, I'm sure they cherished it as much as you will!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Emily, I absolutely loved this post. I always love birth stories but it's even more special when your parents write them! And that's so cool that you were born on Friday the 13th! I've never disliked those days like so many people do... I actually like 13s. Happy happy birthday! Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your mom telling the story from her point of view made me tear up - and give her a kiss, back labor is horrific.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday! What a sweet idea to have your parents share the story today. Hope it's a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. HOW SWEET! I loved when Sarah did this and thought it was such a wonderful idea. Happy birthday girl! I hope you have a wonderful day and week! <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aww emily, I love this post! happy 30th birthday! It also happens to be my older sister's birthday today too; she's just turned 20! xx
    Lots of love,
    Marina Rosie x
    https://marinawriteslife.blogspot.fr/

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a sweet post! Happy 30th Birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy 30th Birthday gorgeous!!! LOVE this story and the world is a better place with you in it!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. girl...I am so tearing up over this sweet post! Us mom's just love to have the chance to share these special days over and over. I know my kids roll their eyes but I still tell them every year on their birthday how special their day was. I promise, this meant as much to your mom to be able to share as it does to you. Hope you had a super special birthday! Happy 3-0!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hope you had a great birthday! I love this post.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy 30th Birthday Emily! I hope you had a fabulous day :-)
    xo
    Amanda @ Cupcake N Dreams

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my! I have tears in my eyes! So neat to have your mom and dad write your birth story. Now you have me wondering about mine. I'm really not sure how it went down on the day I was born. Happy Belated Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my goodness. This is soo sweet. Thank your mom for sharing your birth story. I really enjoyed reading it. And happy belated birthday Emily!

    ReplyDelete