Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Workin' It: Work / Home Life Balance

This month's 'workin' it' topic is work / home life balance.  I feel like achieving that balance is harder to do these days.  With the ability to get work email on your phone, you are constantly plugged in.  Deadlines are tighter and tighter, so it often requires longer hours to get the job done, or the possibility of bringing work home with you.  Even if it's not the actual work, the stress can definitely come home with you.  Here's how I try to balance that out.

Plan, plan, plan.  I always try to look ahead to the next week to see what is going on - both at work and home.  Maybe one day I know I will be working late, or there is a big meeting that I will need to go in early to prepare for.  It's nice to look ahead to plan and just get myself mentally prepared.  That then flows into how my evening will go.  If I know that it will be a late night, then I figure out when would be the best time to get my work out in, or if that night should be a crock pot meal, or leftovers.  I definitely thrive on routine, so having a game plan in place really helps me.

Unplug.  Most nights I try to not be attached to my phone.  For those who text me, they know it's not uncommon for me to not reply for an hour or two - that's most likely due to the fact that my phone is set somewhere else or charging.  If things are a bit hectic at work, I will check to see if anything happened that I need to log on, but if not, my phone is usually set to the side for a good chunk of time in the evening.  

Make the most of the weekends.  This is big for me.  I use the weekends as time to run errands, clean, meal prep, laundry - all that fun stuff.  I try to clean on Fridays so that Saturday morning I wake up to a clean house.  It's just so nice to get it out of the way and then have the rest of the weekend without that looming over.  Then I feel like the entire day Saturday is for doing as I please, whether it be reading, or going out and doing something fun.  Sunday is my meal prep day, which really helps to set the tone for the week.  If I don't get all my meal prep done, then you better believe my eating isn't always the best and then I don't feel the best.  

Be realistic.  With many jobs, sometimes you are busier than others.  Sometimes your home life is busier than others.  Sometimes they are both super hectic at the same time!  Those weeks happen.  There are days where I feel like I have it together, and then there are days where I definitely don't.  Again, those times happen and it's okay.  

Other Workin' posts:
Workin' It: New Year's Resolutions 
Workin' It: Marriage Edition 

Linking up with ShayErikaJenn and Jessi

23 comments:

  1. I'm so with you - I think we work in a similar field (finance) and even though it can be tough at times, for the most part we don't really have any fires to put out until the following day! I try to do most of my social media stuff & blog stuff at night - I do wish there were about 3 more hours to every day or that I didn't enjoy sleep as much LOL! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading this from someone who is in the business world! Very interesting to see how you balance work and home life. I agree--unplugging from your phone is key! Work emails can wait until the next day.
    Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a good balance! So many days I don't get everything done at the office but it just waits until the next day (even though I hate not crossing everything off my list). Love making the most of the weekends!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great and so important - great topic! Luckily I work part time so I was just thinking how that balance for me is basically built in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great advice! I totally agree about unplugging. Before I worked at home, I was a teacher and there were lots of times I made the mistake of checking my email before bed and finding something that I felt needed to be dealt with immediately. The same is true with my husband, now. It helps that he has a separate phone for work and personal so he can leave the work one at home or put it in the drawer to enjoy a family outing or dinner at night.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Girl, yes. It can be so hard to just unplug at the end of the day. I ride the train to and from work and I try so hard not to check my work email on the train but I usually do any way. But making the most of the weekends is definitely key! <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  7. Planning is definitely key! If I didn't plan out our weeks, meals, etc. our life would be a big mess!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this! I feel like I relate to you a lot as a blogger who also works a very busy business job by day... I'm curious what industry are you in? Thanks for sharing, it's always nice to know you're not alone :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am in the (re)insurance industry - my specific role is in Investor Relations.

      Delete
  9. This reminded me I need to do a better job just putting my phone away in the evenings- it's so easy to feel like you have to always have it right next to you, which is so overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such great advice! I definitely know there are some days I will be at work longer/later than others so I try to plan around that. If I know I'm making dinner I'll do it on other nights that I'll be home earlier. I need to learn how to unplug after work, it's so hard sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally admire you for unplugging at night. We have been working on this in our house, because it is really such a hinder on spending quality time and just unwinding. And your weekends sound like the best time to really make sure your week is as functional as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I completely understand. It doesn't happen very often for me anymore (thank God), but because we have employees across the US I would have our west coast employees reaching out after I was already home and ready to unwind. I've definitely gotten better with leaving my phone away until the kids go to bed, unless of course they're doing something silly that I want to share. And weekends have always been our thing, so we take full advantage of that. Great tips, girl! Beautifully Candid

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think unplugging is huge! Not being connected to work email after work hours makes for a happy and relaxing night!

    ReplyDelete
  14. you're so right, it's so easy to be connected now that it's harder and harder to unplug from work.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that you meal prep on Sunday. I really need to get in the habit of doing something like that. Most mornings I'm flying by the seat of my pants getting lettuce chopped for my salads, making Jacob's lunches, etc. It's so annoying to have to rush every morning!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Totally with you on this, you need to disconnect from the phone! haha It is hard sometimes but you have to!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Meal prepping totally saves my life! I was gone last weekend and got nothing planned for lunches or dinner this week and it's been a circus!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your last paragraph; it's so true. Chaos in different areas of your life just goes in ebbs and flows. I love that you thrive on routines. Me too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I feel like I always struggle with staying unplugged from work when I'm home as well! It's way too easy to check your phone nowadays, but I love the idea of trying to not have it nearby at all!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is all great advice! I don't work anymore obviously but I feel like I'm too attached my phone which is annoying. I also want to be better about meal prep on Sundays!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have a hard time unplugging and separately life at work and at home. Especially since I work with my husband. But this is good advice. I need to plan more as well.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love these tips. I try to make the most of the weekends too! But I do need to get better about unplugging at night.

    ReplyDelete