Thursday, April 20, 2017

Weight Loss Challenge Update

Hey all!  I am four weeks into a weight loss challenge at work, and wanted to give a little mid-challenge update.

A little back story to start off the post, though.  One of my New Year's Resolutions was to continue to improve on my health.  I jumped on the 21 Day Fix bandwagon last year, and really love the work outs.  I did a full review after my first go around here, if you want to check it out.  I love the workouts and learned a lot about diet via the program, which I shared when Sarah and I did a little blog switch earlier in the year.  You can see my post on Sarah's blog here, and her post about her healthy tips and tricks on my blog here.  I always love reading posts like that - helps to get me motivated!

My motivation here of late has been the weight loss challenge I am participating in at work.  The challenge is company-wide, and there is a group of 9 of us that are split between two teams, which makes it a little more fun and competitive.  I like that it is on teams, because you don't want to let the others down, and it gives you a good support system, too.  The fitness center provided us with a work out, suggested diet, and we receive a weekly healthy recipe to help set us up for success.  

So far, I have lost a little under 4 pounds.  I feel pretty good about that number, as they say a healthy weight loss is 1-2 pounds per week.  4 weeks down, almost 4 pounds lost.

Here's the two main things I have been doing to achieve that loss.  

1.  Working out twice a day during the week.  In the morning, I do a 21 Day Fix work out.  I consider this more my 'weights' work out.  For my second round of the day, I head to the gym after work and do a half hour or 45 minutes of cardio.  One day I will walk on the treadmill for a half hour plus 10 minutes on the stair master, and the next day I will elliptical for 30 minutes.  I do the morning work outs Monday through Friday, and try to get to the gym after work 3-4 times a week.  On the weekends, I usually try to get out for a walk on Saturday and have Sunday for rest, or just another, more leisurely walk.  Since I have been doing this, I have started to see higher losses during weigh in week.  Doing this for the long haul does not seem like a viable option, so my hope is that once I hit my target, I can go back to once a day working out to maintain.

2.  Watching what I eat.  Captain obvious speaking because we all know this is key to losing weight and being healthy.  My sister in law has had some really great success lowering her carb intake, so I have been trying to be cognizant of that, as well.  For example, I picked up a spaghetti squash to get my pasta fix, instead of using actual noodles.  I am having more salads, sometimes for both lunch and dinner, and pairing them with a protein or making them a little different to keep myself from getting burnt out.  I am also still letting myself eat what I want...to a degree.  At big meals, like Easter, in the past I tended to take a bit of everything.  This year, I just focused on the things I really liked.  I may have had 3-4 desserts, as well, but that isn't my everyday.  And I split a few with my mom so that I could get that taste, but didn't over do it too much.  I also allow myself a cheat meal/day.  Otherwise, I am the type that if I don't allow myself things here and there, then it all bottles up and I just go crazy with eating all the bad things.  

That's what has been working for me!  Hopefully I will be back in 4 weeks with twice as much weight lost (if not more!)!  

Linking up with Annie.      

13 comments:

  1. Keep up the good work! Sounds like you're on a roll and doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay at your results right now! I think 4lbs in 4 weeks is amazing! And I cannot believe you're working out twice a day! That's dedication and it's paid off so far :)
    Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow twice a day workouts!? Get it girl!! That's so awesome, seriously! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that having a cheat day is a great idea! I know that when Chris and I are dieting if I don't have a day that I can eat what I want that I'd end up bingeing all the time, which is never good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay so amazing you are working out twice a day! I agree to eat what you want, to a degree. Deprivation is the worst kind of diet, so awesome you are still enjoying things you like!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you're doing great! I am a big fan of the two a day workouts to encourage some weight loss - I really think it definitely helps see a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome!! I think you are doing amazing. Two a day workouts are intense so that's awesome that you're keeping up with that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Girl, I cannot believe you're working out twice a day! That's incredible! If you keep it up, the pounds are just going to go flying off! Good for you, Emily. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. great job girl! i have done the working out twice a day before as well and it didn't last long for me.. i got sick of it pretty quick and then i started not putting in enough effort, so even though i was working out twice a day, they were lackluster workouts.
    the eating thing is where i struggle. especially carbs. i refuse to give them up! but i do know i should at least eat less.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job. I love your motivation. I hate getting on the scale though. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's great! I need some motivation! Maybe I can get a team competition going, I can definitely see how that would keep me accountable.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Way to go!! I feel like it's better to lose a little each week and make all the healthy changes. It all adds up! Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. YOU GO GIRL! Love these posts! They're so encouraging, and it's fun to read about your realistic approach to all of it. You also have great, realistic expectations, so I'm not surprised you've been successful so far!

    ReplyDelete