Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Book Review: April 2017

April was a bit of a slower reading month for me.  I have just a few for you from April, plus an extra I forgot to include in my February 2017 Book Review.



A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness.  This was the book I read for book club.  Or that I was supposed to read anyways...I only got about a third of the way through it by the time we met!  It takes a bit of getting into, but it's really good.  I would liken it to Twilight, but more of a 'grown up' version.  It's part of a series, but it took me forever to read it, because it's pretty long, so while I really liked it, I don't think I will be reading the others, at least night for awhile.

American Wife by Curtis Sittenfeld.  I had really high hopes for this book, but I think being told it was loosely based off Laura Bush's life actually turned me off.  I think if I had just gone in reading the book without that knowledge would have made me enjoy it more.  I felt like I needed to keep googling things to see if that part was real or not.  Just not my favorite.

The Girl Before by JP Delaney.  I could not put this book down!  It's about a house and the girl that lived in it and ended up dying in the house, and about the person the currently inhabits it.  You learn what really happened, and I have to say the twists and turns kept me guessing.  I figured out parts of it earlier on, but there were some moments at the end I was like whatttt?  If you liked The Woman in Cabin 10 or Behind Closed Doors, I think you would definitely be a fan of this book, too.  

Scrappy Little Nobody by Anna Kendrick.  I read this book earlier in the year, but totally forgot to include it in that month's review.  I thought it was a good book!  I had no idea how long Anna had actually been in the business and just thought it was really interesting.  Chelsea posted about listening to the audio book of this, and while I have never done an audio book before, I bet hearing this read by Anna Kendrick would have been really good.  

As always, please leave any recommendations you may have!  

Linking up with StephLindsay and Whitney.


24 comments:

  1. I have Scrappy Little Nobody on my shelf to read but I keep hearing how much better the audiobook is and that makes me want to do that instead!! I did the same thing that you did with American Wife with the Royal We - I kept Googling to see what was true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been wanting to read American Wife so I may have to just to see if I like it.....I am a Laura Bush fan haha! I've actually heard really good things about the other Curtis Sittenfeld books so maybe you'll find another that you like. You really need to read Girl in the Blue Coat that I posted about yesterday!!
    Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have Scrappy Little Nobody waiting for me on audio this month - can't wait!! I am a big fan of hers!! I really liked The Girl Before too (and recently enjoyed Behind Closed Doors :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked The Girl Before - I hope that the movie is good, as well. I am reading Behind Closed Doors right now and it is okaaaay but I am annoyed with the storyline.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really behind on my reading lately too! I'm not into audio books but I could for be for Anna Kendrick!

    Amanda @ Cupcake N Dreams

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read the Girl Before this month as well. I liked it and loved the way it bounced between characters. I want to read Scrappy Little Nobody and the Witches book sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoyed A Discovery of Witches and read the series. It was good but all the books are long. If I recall, the last book moved a bit slow. I thought The Girl Before was great too. I love how my perspective of the tenants kept changing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I liked American Wife because I went into it like all of it was fiction and didn't think about what could have been real in Bush-land until after.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really want to read Scrappy Little Nobody. I love Anna :)

    Sarah
    Midwest Darling

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to read Scrappy Little Nobody... I've had it in my Amazon wish list forever! I'm glad to hear that you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I want to read the Girl Before. Sounds very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have Anna's memoir; I'm hoping to read it by the pool when it finally opens. I think it would make a nice relaxing read. I'm a huge fan of hers though so I'm glad to hear you liked it.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so glad that you enjoyed The Girl Before! It kept me glued to the pages too and I couldn't get enough! I've heard really good reviews about A Discovery Of Witches, so I'll have to hopefully pick it up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. In college I wrote a paper on American Wife for a media class I had to take- I wish I could remember more of what it was about, but I remember not really loving the book either.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fun! I actually kinda of what to check out American Wife...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I felt the same way about The Girl Before! A really good thriller. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. i hate when i hear something right before i start a book and it taints my opinion. i haven't read anything else by curtis whatsherface, but i loved eligible because i'm a sucker for pride and prejudice variations. anna kendrick's book is on my phone, just waiting to finish my current audiobook. memoirs are my favourite kind of audiobooks, so enjoyable! A Discovery of Witches sounds so good and it's been on my list for like 5 years lol. i finally got them all from the library this week so hopefully i can get to them soon!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Eek....the Girl Before sounds perfect! I seriously told myself I was taking a little break from those types of books after Behind Closed Doors...it wore me out. haha I'm reading the Hypnotist Love Story right now and so far I'm liking it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I loved Anna Kendrick's book. Even though I read it, I imagined her voice while doing so! I thought The Girl Before was a good read as well.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I "read" Scrappy Little Nobody on audiobook. I did enjoy the personal voice of the writer in an autobiography. It brings a life to the stories that I love! I'm on the fence about The Girl Before. I haven't read the two recommendations similar that you wrote about. So, I'm not sure if this is my style or not. I need to give at least one of those books a try since they are so popular.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The Girl Before sounds awesome! I have it on my reading list so I'm glad to hear you loved reading the book.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hmm I remember liking The American Wife but don't think I knew the Bush connection. That would have thrown me off a bit too. Kendrick's audiobook was great, she has such a fun & snarky attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The Girl Before sounds like a really good book. I'll have to add it to my reading list.

    ReplyDelete